Tuesday, July 1, 2014

MEETING PETER O'TOOLE

I met Peter O'Toole once when I was a teenager at Gatwick airport. He was reading the paper in an impeccable cream Saville Row suit, white shirt & black tie, with a perfectly matched cashmere topcoat & hat on the seat next to him. I was so awestruck by him, without thinking I shouted "Hey O'Toole!". He slowly lowered his paper, looked at me & with a brow furrowed said "What" (hard emphasis on the H sound).

Me: What was it like?

Him: (impatient) What was WHAT like? (That H sound again)
Me: What was it like to be a nobody? An obscure British stage actor, then suddenly, overnight you're the biggest movie star in the world who just made the greatest film of all time that won all those Oscars.
Him: (Smiles) Well, I did what any silly cunt would've done. I was in Los Angeles at the time & I bought the largest, whitest Rolls Royce a man could own & I drove down Sunset Boo-lee-vahd waving like the fucking Queen.
Me: Amazing. How was that?
Him: No one gave a fuck (Goes back to his newspaper) And scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment