Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Language Barrier in Rome

Me in Rome in Piazza Farnese after a fashion business event with an Italian model, 2 editors & 2 designers. I'm the only American. Lesson: Don't pretend to proficient in a language that you aren't. 

Italian girl: Amore, do you need me to help you with the menu?
Me: Um. No. I took 3 semesters of Italian in College. I think I can handle ordering dinner. 

We finish dinner and one of the designer guys says to me.

Him: "EhScott, that was a very adventurous order for an American".
Me: You think? What was so adventurous?
Him: Tell me what you theenk you order.
Me: (In what I believed to be a perfect Roman accent) Bisteca di Cavallino Tartufo Bianco.
Him: And thees ees?
Me: Steak with white truffles.
Him: Eh... you meess a word.
Me: Doesn't Cavallino mean "With white truffles"?
Him: Eh. No. Eet means a baby horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment